WiML Board of Directors Call — Treasurer
WiML Board Treasurer
Seeking a motivated and responsible individual to take on the role of Treasurer within the Women in Machine Learning (WiML) Board of Directors. This is a crucial and influential position within the board and is a great opportunity to support the community of women in machine learning.
WiML is an organization that aims to enhance the experience of women in ML and increase the representation and impact of women in ML.
The Treasurer is a voting member of the WiML Board of Directors. A strong candidate is inspired by WiML’s mission and desires to concretely contribute by volunteering time to the organization. This role is supported by a bookkeeper and CPA. Responsibilities begin April 1, 2019 (one-year commitment, which can be extended), with on-boarding beginning in January 2019. This is an unpaid position (as are all voting Board seats) and currently requires 7-10 hrs per week. The new Treasurer would be involved in restructuring and redistributing efforts to reduce this load to 3-5 hrs per week.
– Signatory on WiML bank account
– Strong understanding of WiML’s financial policies
– Lead updates to financial policies to ensure compliance with the law and best practices
– Input and oversight of financial activities of the organization (e.g., yearly budget, accounting, proper application of policies)
– Liaise with Partner-level sponsors
– Communication with Bank of America should any issues arise
– Delegation of financial tasks to the finance committee and other board members as appropriate
– Communication with and oversight of bookkeeper and CPA
– Participation in monthly WiML board meetings and executive board meetings
– Working professional in an ML / ML-adjacent field (PhD is not required)
– US-based with a social security number (required per bank policies)
– Willing to commit 7-10 hours / week on Treasurer responsibilities at the onset of the position (to reduce over time as work is distributed)
– Experience serving on a non-profit board
– Financial / accounting / Treasurer experience
Note: anyone of any gender is welcome to apply
To apply, interested candidates should send a resume/CV and a brief letter of interest highlighting relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Treasurer position.”
A link to the following posting can also be found here: